As you know, preparation is the key to success with everything in life – ESPECIALLY when it comes to your nutrition.
Winging it will not get you the results that you are looking for. Obviously, you cannot be prepared with perfectly planned meals and snacks at ALL times and during that time, you just to make the best decisions possible. But for all other situations, being prepared will help you hit your goals and feel amazing.
So what does being prepared mean when it comes to nutrition??
Well, let’s break it down!
- Choose a specific time and day of the week that you will be committed to going grocery shopping. Choose a time that you are NOT rushed or stressed out and most importantly – HUNGRY. Find a peaceful time that you can go slowly and make great choices and read labels. Make these decisions based on your head and not your grumbly tummy.
- What do I buy!? Well firstly, I hope you all know by now that you only are shopping the perimeters of the store. The inner aisles are LOADED with crap and preservatives and sugar and garbage. Obviously, you may need to grab a few things like salsa for example, but I RARELY go to the inner aisles.
I load up in the fresh produce first – so I grab TONS of greens, like spinach, cucumber, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, etc. Then hit up the fruit like berries, grapefruit and bananas.
After that, I think HEALTHY carbs. (Remember these are BEST consumed BEFORE 2 pm) Sweet potatoes, couscous, quinoa, oatmeal.
Next I think healthy FATS – Ill grab coconut oil, ALL nuts, avocado, peanut butter etc.
Lastly, it’s time for PROTEIN! Lean fish like tilapia and salmon is great once per week. Canned tuna and chicken, frozen chicken, eggs, falafels, tofu & hummus.
EXTRAS – veggie burgers, rice cakes, probiotic drinks, almond milk etc.
Those are examples of my STAPLES IN M DIET that I always shop for. All can be found on perimeter for the most part!
- Ok I have my healthy items, now what!? Now here’s where the real PREP begins! Soon as you get home, take everything out and wash it. Cut it up and store it in pretty CLEAR containers so that you can clearly SEE all the beautiful veggies and fruit. DON’T hide your beautiful food!! Then start cooking your chicken and fish. Prepare your sweet potatoes and quinoa etc. If you leave the house every day, then you need to actually prepare all your healthy meals and snacks ahead of time! If you stay home, then at the least, make sure you have all your healthy foods cooked, cleaned, prepared and ready to grab when it is time to eat. So you have NO EXCUSES to eat unhealthy or all the fries off your kid’s plate etc.….
- Other helpful tips, if you go on trips, you can still totally pack healthy snacks and meals! Use a cooler! This will help you stay on track and focused on your goals! Also, if you have any trigger foods, either get them out of sight, out of mind OR prepackage whatever it is in smaller portions.
- So as you can see, this is a LIFESTYLE. It takes time getting used to putting in the extra effort but soon you will not be able to relate to the old YOU that used to walk around STARVING making poor choices. Fit and Chic babes think and plan ahead because we are role models of health and wellness!
- Lastly, YES, many people will make fun of you. Some may say, OMG, I cannot believe you brought almonds in your purse to snack on! Do not let other people’s comments get to you. THIS IS your journey, your goals, your body, your temple to take care of and live. I respect everyone’s opinion but only truly listen to my own.